Saturday, February 1, 2014

Memoir: The Journey of the Trek



            Years and years have stretched my father around my life like a rubber band around the earth. His voice is thunder and his eyes are fire. Sometimes they’re the only things that keep me warm at night; other times they burn every life source for miles. Every day I make the trek for more. Although the trek is easier for her, my sister must do it, too.
            I believe I was in seventh or eighth grade, making my sister a junior or senior in high school. I walked downstairs, thinking that meal would be no different than any other family dinner we’ve had: Quiet, except for my sister’s tea caffeine-fueled ramblings. But it was different, because even my mom’s delicious spaghetti with her homemade meat-sauce couldn’t make up for my father’s terrible mood. He interrupted her talking about school or her friends or her clothes or whatever the topic was that night, and targeted my sister, calling her vain, and slamming his hand on the table. I flinched. My mom told him to calm down, but she was always passive and quiet, and that night was no exception. He yelled at her to shut up and continued yelling at my sister. Silent tears flowed down my cheeks and dripped off my chin and I just watched my knuckles grow white through the glass tabletop.
            It’s not like he has a drinking problem. He definitely didn’t drink more than usual that night. He actually gets happier and goofy when he drinks, not angry. He was just naturally like this. It was normal for him to be disappointed in his daughters or make fun of his wife. It was normal for him to leave the TV on during dinner and yell at anyone who didn’t wait for a commercial to talk. It wasn’t normal for him to cry. It wasn’t normal for him to say he was proud of either of his daughters.
            Every once in a while, he did. But it wasn’t until after that night that he made any sort of true fatherly effort. There was one night when I was fifteen and I had come downstairs to get some ice cream. My mom was getting the coffee machine ready for the morning, and my dad was sitting on the couch in the living room watching TV. He got my attention and referred to a song that I had wrote and posted on Facebook called “Slip.” He had tried calling it “Spill.” This song was interesting because it could sound like some sort of suicide-note-type song, but it wasn’t. It was about a boy. I rushed to change his mind, thinking he was going to criticize me for writing something so depressing and posting it online for the world to see. Instead, he complimented it. He told me it was really good and that I shouldn’t post what I write online in case the wrong person sees it and tries to plagiarize it. I was so taken aback that all I could do was say thank you. Had my dad actually read something that I wrote? Had he actually liked it? Had he actually told me that he liked it? I believe he had. It was one of the strangest moments between us. I wasn’t exactly what my parents had expected in a daughter.
            My sister, however, was perfect in my parents’ eyes. She was athletic, smart, and an all-around amiable person. She had played basketball for six years in elementary school and ran track in middle school and high school. She was a straight-A student in several advanced placement and honors classes. At school, she was cool and had many good friends that she only lost if they were unfortunate. She was simply stylish, very pretty, and yet didn’t have her first kiss until the night before she left for college.
            Because my father is an electrician and my mom spent most of her life either in retail or office work and my sister was an international business major, I’ve always considered myself as the ugly duckling in the family.
            At about nine years old, I started writing songs—granted not very good songs, but songs nonetheless. In fourth grade, I had my “first boyfriend.” Although I had considered him my first back then, I no longer do, because fourth graders can’t have very successful relationships. And it wasn’t. Two years later, I decided that I wanted to be a famous actress.
            I was different and because I was different, I didn’t really know how to communicate with my family and in return, they didn’t know how to relate to me. I had many issues with my father growing up, my sister would just tell me to get over it because he’s my father and I love him no matter what, and my mom always took my dad’s side because she said that I blamed him too much. Maybe I did. But then again, when I needed a father, he wasn’t really there for me. Instead, he was a great father figure to my sister’s best friend Anna. She had had a rough home life with a step father that didn’t like her and a father that was barely in her life. As all daddy-problem girls go, Anna also had a tough time in relationships. She kept forgiving a guy that cheated on her and lied about it several times and ended up marrying him without a genuine wedding ceremony. He got stationed in Japan for the military and they were supposed to be there for eighteen months. Barely half a year in, however, he started getting abusive and saying that the reason he was in the military was so he could kill people for fun. Needless to say, she divorced him and got out of that relationship and Japan as soon as possible. As usual, we invited her over to dinner and I heard my dad talk the whole way through and for almost an hour after we had finished eating about what a wonderful young woman she was and how she needs to forget about guys for a while and stick to trying to figure out her future. I had never gotten a talk like that from my dad.
            Something weird happened more recently, however. It was my first break home from college, and we had invited my sister and her boyfriend Bryce, Anna, and my dad’s best friend of over thirty years Phil over for Thanksgiving dinner. There were several times throughout the evening that Phil had stepped out to smoke a cigarette and although this didn’t mean a lot to me, it hit my dad fairly hard after Phil left. My dad cried more than I had ever seen him cry and he explained to me what was going on with Phil. Apparently, back before my parents had even started dating in the 1980s in Santa Barbara, California, Phil had gotten into cocaine and was addicted. My dad and their group of friends didn’t like being around Phil anymore because he was either high or wanting to get his next fix. My dad was the only one willing to talk to him about it and Phil had promised my dad that he would stop. However, a couple weeks later, my dad went to his house and found some of it in the bathroom and called him on it. Soon after, Phil met his future wife Georgia who also had a cocaine addiction. They managed to get over it together, however trading in their addiction for an unhealthy diet, smoking, and drinking at any hour of the day. Georgia passed away within the last year, and both my parents can tell it is only a matter of time until Phil kicks the bucket as well. My dad said he had basically been waiting for the call, and when Phil called and my mom had picked it up, all she told my dad was that she was pretty sure it was the call.
            That Thanksgiving, Anna hugged my dad and told him everything would be okay. She comforted him and tried to lighten the mood and was very good at it. However, all I could do was sit there and wipe my own tears away, still thinking about the small piece of turkey leg stuck in a back molar. I didn’t know how to comfort a man that had shown me barely an ounce of compassion my whole life. I wanted to, I almost reached my hand out to pat his arm or something, but I couldn’t. I didn’t know how. Instead, my hands stayed folded in my lap under the dark wood table. I could feel my knuckles whitening because he was my father, but he wasn’t really my dad. And I was his child, but I wasn’t really his daughter.


But it was my sophomore year that things really got shaken up. I had my first real boyfriend, the same guy that I had my first kiss with at the homecoming dance. After we broke up, my best friend started dating him. I didn’t even find out through either of them, my friend had seen it on Facebook and told me about it. I had already been slipping into depression, and this news dunked me in, head first. I told my parents that I had thought about committing suicide. My dad laughed. He thought I was just pretending to be depressed to manipulate people and make them feel sorry for me. This same man had blamed my sister only two or three years prior for making me cry at the dinner table, when I had actually been crying because his fiery eyes burned holes in my heart and his thundering voice echoed in my ribcage.
Now when we eat dinner and I look at those wine-themed placemats that my mom made, I think of that night from five or so years ago and I think about how it might happen again. Sure my dad is better now and I get along with him better, but we’ll never be close and anything can trigger his anger. Sometimes lay in bed at night, staring at the ceiling, wondering about day after. I remember having to run laps around the gym in P.E. and telling a friend or two about it, but I can never remember which friend. Someone out there has this terrible memory of my father and they weren’t even there I don’t even know who it is. But I suppose that’s just another reason that I have to warn my friends every time that they meet my dad that he’s not the most sociable person in the world.


            I never cut myself or even came close to attempted suicide. I might be depressed, but I’m a coward. I supposed cowardice is what saved me in the end, but dark thoughts will always haunt my mind, even when I least expect it.
            I suppose I was fifteen or sixteen when the worst thing seeped into my mind and filled my whole being with evil. I’m not sure what day of the week it was, or even what homework I was doing, but it was probably geometry on my bed and I was getting too stressed to control my thoughts. My precious cat sat on my bed next to me down by my knees like she usually did while I did my homework. I was pretty much the only person she liked anymore. She’s always been scared of my parents, and my sister was away at university a lot. Annie was tiny princess of a cat that never ate and thought she was the most gorgeous cat in the world. I’ve always called her the Paris Hilton of Cats. I loved her more than anything and considered her my ultimate best friend. However, in that moment, I wasn’t myself. My soul had gone, and all that consumed me was a need to wrap my fingers around her tiny neck that was about the size of my tiny wrist. Although I wasn’t touching her and I didn’t even reach out, somehow I could still feel her unfeasibly soft fur between my fingers. After a minute, the sensation passed. I petted her and scratched behind her ears the way she liked. And with that, it was all over.


            My mom took me to see a therapist. I learned new things, not only about myself, but about the world I lived in, the people that surrounded me every day—the man that I thought was stronger than Hercules as a kid.
            Dr. Campbell taught me that if I couldn’t change him, I had to accept him and adapt. If I couldn’t change the world, then I had to accept it and adapt. But she also told me not to change myself for one man—not even the whole world. Not only did I have to accept my father, but I also had to accept myself. Slowly, I started to embrace the artist within myself. I knew I would never be good at school or sports or socializing, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be good at other things.
            The day I started accepting myself as a part of the world and a part of this family, was the first step not on a trek, but on a journey. I discovered myself in a new group of friends. I discovered myself backstage rather than on stage. I discovered myself in Girl Scouts. I discovered myself with a pen and a notebook. I discovered myself in Europe. I discovered myself watching special features, rather than imagining myself in front of the camera. I discovered myself at college. I lost myself, but only for a couple months. And I’m rediscovering myself now.

No comments:

Post a Comment